The Leader Leads Through Obstacles - Part 1
Scripture: Exodus 14:1–15:2
Definition of Obstacle: Something or someone that obstructs or hinders progress or growth; also means something or someone that stands against an intended goal, destination or pursuit.
Introduction: While following the heart of God you will face many obstacles along the way. Most “defining moments” in life have obstacles along the way. Many of those mentioned in Scripture (especially in Hebrews 11) had to overcome unimaginable obstacles to accomplish God’s intended desires for them. This would include Moses and the Israelites.
When Faced With Life’s Unimaginable Obstacles:
- Realize God Knows Where You Are (Exodus 14:1-2)
“No sea is deeper than the oceans of His love.
No army stronger than His own.
No force greater than His throne of grace.
And no enemy who can overcome His work in our lives.”
- Focus More On God’s Glory Than Your Deliverance (Exodus 14:3-4)
- Evaluate Your Obstacle:
your enemy (Exodus 14:5-9)
your emotions (Exodus 14:10a)
- Fix Your Eyes On God And Pray (Exodus 4:10b)
- Trust God To Work Through The Obstacle (Exodus 14:11-14) (Psalm 37:7-8)
“The Lord will make a way
where no foot has been before.
That which like a sea,
threatens to drown you,
shall be a highway for your escape.” --Charles Spurgeon
- Move Forward In Faith Through The Obstacle:
while God leads (Exodus 14:15-16)
when you don’t understand (Exodus 14:17-18) (Romans 8:28)
- Anticipate God’s Presence (Exodus 14:19-20)
- Expect God To Deliver You In His Own Way:
while conquering your fears (Exodus 14:21-22)
while destroying your foes (Exodus 14:23-28)
while building your faith (Exodus 14:29-31)
- Celebrate God’s Victory Over Your Obstacle (15:1-2)
Conclusion: Your greatest “defining moments” in life will be full of victories over obstacles. Great leaders are capable of leading others from “do what moments” through the “what if moments” which will include obstacles to “defining moments.”