The Possibilities of "Us"
Scripture: Ephesians 4:12–4:16
Introduction: The local church should be the most generous entity in any local community. Its generosity should be established in and directed towards Biblical discipleship.
The Goal of Discipleship: To bring a person into a saving knowledge of faith in Jesus Christ; then help them understand what it means to be a His follower and how to walk in the light of His truth.
The Challenge of Discipleship: Are “we” building a church that is fulfilling its responsibilities? What are the possibilities of “us”?
The Task of Discipleship
- “equipping”—to provide what is needed to be complete (Ephesians 4:12a)
- “edifying”—to strengthen by instruction and encouragement (Ephesians 4:12b)
The Target of Discipleship
- “unity of the faith”—moving in the same direction (Ephesians 4:13a)
- “knowledge of the Son of God”—accurate truth (Ephesians 4:13b)
- “perfect man”—maturing faith, not lacking (Ephesians 4:13c)
- “to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ”—complete, fully grown (Ephesians 4:13d)
The Testimony of the Discipled
- Follows correct doctrine (Ephesians 4:14a)
“When a society moves away from absolute truth to embrace relative truth then the truth of that society can be anything its imagination conceives.”
Absolute Truth—is independently true for all and displays authority even if it is not recognized as truth
Relative Truth—carries the idea that a meaning, conclusion or concept can be true for one person and not for another
- Not easily & comfortably deceived (Ephesians 4:14b)
- Accountable to others in the faith (Ephesians 4:15a)
- Belongs to a local church
grows within the church (Ephesians 4:15b)
connects within the church (Ephesians 4:16a)
serves within the church (Ephesians 4:16b)
Application: What will the “u” in “us” promise to do, to ensure we are fulfilling the mandate given to “us” by God to disciple others? How generous are you?