When You Are Called To Lead
Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 2:1–2:12
Definition of Flourish: to be healthy and thriving; to blossom; to be at the height of influence
Introduction: The Bible is very clear when describing the characteristics of spiritual leadership. Spiritual leadership has many faces; such as, a pastor, a father, a mother and really anyone who is a follower of Jesus that has influence over another.
When Looking For Spiritual Leadership:
Consider Their Faithfulness
- Through Their Tendencies (1 Thessalonians 2:1) (Romans 8:28)
- Through Their Trials (1 Thessalonians 2:2a)
- Through Their Triumphs (1 Thessalonians 2:2b)
Consider Their Purpose
Henry Blackaby in his book Spiritual Leadership gives 5 statements concerning Spiritual Leadership:
- The spiritual leaders task is to move people from where they are to where God wants them to be. (leading them to Encounter & Experience God)
- Spiritual leaders must depend on the Holy Spirit.
- Spiritual leaders are accountable to God.
- Spiritual leaders can influence all people not just God’s people.
- Spiritual leaders work from God’s agenda.
- Through Their Message (1 Thessalonians 2:3-4a)
- Through Their Motives (1 Thessalonians 2:4b)
- Through Their Methods
--Words (1 Thessalonians 2:5a)
--Agendas (1 Thessalonians 2:5b)
--Glory (1 Thessalonians 2:6)
Consider Their Attitude
- Through Their Tenderness
--Cherishing (1 Thessalonians 2:7)
--Longing (1 Thessalonians 2:8a)
--Imparting (1 Thessalonians 2:8b)
- Through Their Seriousness
--Laboring (1 Thessalonians 2:9)
--Behaving (1 Thessalonians 2:10)
- Through Their Firmness
--Exhorting (1 Thessalonians 2:11a)
--Comforting (1 Thessalonians 2:11b)
--Charging (1 Thessalonians 2:11c-12)
Application: When looking for a spiritual leader, what is your criteria? As a spiritual leader, do you reflect the above characteristic?