When Living In Truth
Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:16–5:22
Introduction: In this text, Paul instructs us with seven practical foundational statements concerning how to live a successful Christian Life. These statements are in the present tense meaning the content of these statements are to be continuous.
For the Christian Life to be successful these statements must be in effect.
Be Joyful—Sorrow To Glory (I Thessalonians 5:16)
It is determined by your outward circumstances
It is a choice
It is determined by your inward condition
It is a gift (Galatians 5:22) (Philippians 4:4)
Be Prayerful—Problems To Praise (I Thessalonians 5:17)
Be Thankful—Request To Gratitude (I Thessalonians 5:18)
- Being thankful is a one-time commitment and a decision made in every circumstance
- Being thankful is not giving way to complaining and grumbling (Philippians 2:14) (James 5:9)
- Being thankful ushers the presence of God into our lives
- Being thankful changes our perspective
- Being thankful is being aware of God working on our behalf
- Being thankful allows grace to work in our lives
Be Responsive—Darkness to Light
- To the Spirit (I Thessalonians 5:19)
- To the Word (I Thessalonians 5:20)
Be Discerning—Evil to Good
- Examine what is Before Us (I Thessalonians 5:21a)
- Embrace what is Good (I Thessalonians 5:21b)
- Evade and Escape what is Evil (I Thessalonians 5:22)
Are these commands present in your life?
While thinking back over last week, do you see how at least one of these commands, if obeyed, would have helped you in a particular situation or circumstance?
Of the commands, which do you find the most difficult to follow?