Scripture: Galatians 3:10–13
- Guilt is the most devastating kind of Debt we can experience.
- The message from a heart overcome with Guilt is “I owe”.
- Guilt rots our Personal Relationships and our Present Reality.
- What we choose to do with our Guilt shapes our Body, Soul, and Spirit.
The Debt of Guilt
- Our Guilt is a Curse (Galatians 3:10a)
3 Efforts to Alleviate Guilt:
1. Intellectual: Turning Vices into Virtues
2. Physical: Turning Exploits into Escapes
3. Religious: Turning Moral Law into Mental Pride
- Our Guilt is an Indicator (vs.10b)
Our Efforts are “All or Nothing”
Our Efforts reveal our Failure (Romans 3:20)
- Our Guilt is Inevitable- We are Born Guilty (Galatians 3:11, Romans 3:10)
- Our Guilt is NOT an Emotional Crisis, It’s an Identity Crisis (Galatians 3:12)
Based On: What I Can Do Based On: Who I Am
Action: Fixing Action: Surrendering
Goal: To Feel Better Goal: To Be Right Before God
The Defeat of Guilt
- The Holiness of God, the Horror of our Guilt, and the Depth of Divine Grace meet within a Man hanging on a Tree (Galatians 3:13)
Game Changer: Guilt-free living begins with realizing our debt is not paid by our own efforts to temporarily make us feel better. Guilt can only ultimately be Paid-off at the foot of the Cross.